Subtitle

Just an 18yo gay hockey playing guy from ILly.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Rio - my pics

Hey guys,
First of all, for all you guys who took part in the contest this has nothing to do w/ it. I haven't won anything, I'm just here as a contributor.
So now how about I take you guys around my neighbourhood? A while ago I went around taking pics n I'd like to share some:





























So these ones are of the way I take to ride my bike. It goes along this huge beach. Funny thing (you guys are gonna hate me for this) summer is coming here while winter is coming up there. Also I'm already in daylight saving time so I'm 2h ahead of ET n soon your daylight saving time is gonna end n I'll be 3h ahead of ET. Well back to my bike, this red painted side road is the "ciclovia" which starts in a residential area n goes into this protected wood area.


















This is the rain forest. I believe Rio has the largest forest inside a city. But it is decreasing cuz of urban area increase. I've gone there a few times for hiking but sadly it's impossible to camp, the woods are too dense n the terrain is too steep. It's incredibly humid but some tracks take you to very high mounts w/ amazing view. You can also go hang gliding (someday I'll work up the nerve to do it).













This beautiful view is my way to work. See that bridge down there?






























N finally a lil social aspect of class inequality. See the slums along side some big houses in the mount, Brazil has one of the highest social gaps in the world. The middle class is only 25% of the population against, what I think is, 85% in America. The statisticians say that Brazil is an Africa w/ a Belgian in the middle (statistically the middle n upper classes are similar to the Belgians n the lower classes are similar to Africans).The slums are also where things get dangerous, they're home to drug trafficking, drug lords n gang wars w/ AK47s.

But in these last decade things have been improving, thanks largely to a more stable economy (our stock market had a huge rally, we avoided the global crisis completely cuz here it's illegal to trade mortgage-backed securities or ABS... n Brazil's GDP might grow something like 5%) hey we're part of the BRICs.

Well I guess this is it. Thanks for coming. See ya soon.
Luke
guest contributor
P.S: All these pics are mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment